Fall Flavors Galore
Easy, Creamy Vegetable Soup
The fall season is right around the corner, so it’s only fitting that we prepare for the changing weather with a warm bowl of hearty vegetable soup!
This recipe is a favorite of one of our instructors, Robin, who teaches Gentle Yoga here at Washington Yoga Center. Her vegetable soup is made with sweet potato, but can be subbed with butternut squash, pumpkin, or acorn squash. Either way you make it, you’ll be sure to get a wonderful taste of the flavors of fall.
Make your vegetable soup in a blender or food processor, and enjoy 4 servings of this delicious gluten-free and dairy-free dish.
- 2 TBSP coconut oil (or avocado oil)
- ½ medium onion – chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots – chopped
- ½ cup Celery ribs – chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato – chopped and steamed. Can substitute butternut or acorn or pumpkin squash, or parsnips
- Other veggies of choice – e.g. zucchini, swiss chard or kale
- 2 cloves garlic – peeled and minced
- 4 cups bone broth
- 2 tsp sea sale
- 1 14 oz. can full fat coconut milk
- Fresh or dried herbs, lemon juice, sea salt, brown pepper
- More liquid if needed – bone broth or water
- Heat oil in large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions to the pot and cook for about 10 minutes until the onions are golden brown. Stir periodically to keep the onions from burning.
- Add chopped celery ribs and carrots to the pot and sauté with the onions for another 10 minutes
- Add the minced garlic cloves to the pot and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add steamed sweet potatoes, bone broth and sea salt to the stock pot. Cook for 10-15 minutes until all vegetables are tender. Add the coconut milk and remove from heat.
- When all the vegetables have cooked through, use a hand or stand blender to puree the soup. If you use a stand blender, allow the coup to cool slightly before blending. You will need to blend it in batches.
- IF necessary, add additional bone broth or water to thin to desired consistency.
- To serve, pour the soup into bowls and garnish as desired.